Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Morning Mountains (Studio Version)


I'm very pleased with the colour harmony in this picture.  The dark brownish colour is a mixture of cad red light and either permanent green light or viridian.  It makes a lovely brownish hue and certainly makes the cad red light of the mountains stand out even more.  It also guarantees that there will be harmony between the mountains and the trees.  I started a few months ago working with a much more limited palette, basically a warm and cool of each primary with a few extra colours.  This forces me to mix colours and it's in the mixing that I'm learning what each colour is about.  This approach to colour is the basis of my new class Basic Drawing Skills Pt 2: Colour.  It's all about mastering your palette and with too many choices it's very hard to learn the properties of any particular colour.


Morning Mountains
watercolour
18" x  24"

For information on this or any other painting contact me.

No comments:

Post a Comment