Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Portrait Of Susan



I'm really excited about this portrait of Susan. It combines my new interest in portrait photography with a different approach to watercolour. I feel that it captures a feeling of quiet strength and emotion. I began it by literally flooding the paper all over with orange, red and a little yellow. This time I didn't wait for it to dry but went right in with dark blues. The paint was running more than I anticipated and I immediately thought that I'd gone too far but decided to keep at it and see what I could make of it. I let it dry completely and thought that it was bold enough but it needed more contrast so I added more dark blue and some details. I added a few touches of gouache at the end. I'm considering darkening the hair a bit since it seems to attract the eye too much.
Overall this was an extremely satisfying piece.

5 comments:

  1. Wow it is really fantastic. Very different. Bold and confident. Well done I really like it. Me. Your mother??? Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. You noticed that similarity did you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool Rex! I love the simplicity of it and the intensity you achieved with contrast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the mystery and the dominent facial contours,

    great job Rex
    Shane

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just found your blog from Sharon´s blog and I was scrolling down to look at your work and when I hit this one I let out a big....WHOA....
    is this ever moving or WHAT!!!?? Magnificent
    piece of work,,,a real show stopper ;)

    ReplyDelete