Sunday, February 6, 2011

Acrylic As Watercolour


I'm still painting exclusively in acrylic but this image seemed to call for a watercolour type approach.  The image was from our trip to Kelowna at Christmas time.  Just between Revelstoke and Golden we turned off the highway and went down this back road into a real winter wonderland.  These trees covered in hoar frost were an exciting image and I thought a very wet in wet underpainting would be the way to capture the frosty tree shapes.  I feel that this particular technique was fairly effective in capturing the feeling I was going for.  This is a study that I intend to lead to a larger studio painting.

Acrylic
12" X 8"

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful picture. It has such life and emotion in it. Beautiful colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Susan:

    Thanks for the comment. It's interesting that I saw this picture very differently before I heard your comment. That's why artists so much need feedback and thanks for yours.

    ReplyDelete